Monday, October 7, 2013

Calling Off the Goalie

I have a really darling friend who refers to going off birth control as "calling off the goalie". Very clever.

As of last Thursday, I have "called off the goalie".

If you had told me six months ago that in October, I went off birth control, my excitement would have been hard to contain. My husband and I have been waiting for the "right time" to start trying. Lots of talk about my working, our finances, raising children, schools, those hilarious arguments about which of us will successfully be the disciplinarian.

"Let's do this the right way...make sure we're ready...bring a baby into the ideal environment."

Instead, it's October 2013. I'm 28 years old. I just finished grad school. And I have breast cancer.

I'm off birth control to limit the hormones in my body. Biological children may be off the table forever. I'm currently experiencing the worst period I've had in about 9 years. Gather 'round everyone: behold this face of bitterness.

No comments: