Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The First Day of October

This morning my husband and I went to the doctor to results from a breast biopsy I had last Friday. When I felt the lump, I was completely unimpressed. Under 30 years of age and no history of breast cancer - what I am worried about? Worst case scenario - it's a cyst and I have surgery.
When the doctor came into the room with the nurse, I was still stupidly unaffected. Imagine my surprise when I was handed the pathology results, clearly showing that I have cancer.

"How bad is it?" I asked shakily.
"Pretty bad..." says the doctor. 

It's not that my world stopped - it shattered. Very quickly I find out that the tumor is too large for a lumpectomy. A mastectomy is probably my only option.
I opted to go to work, where I was wildly emotional, though not entirely unproductive. Thanks to a very assertive nurse navigator at the Women's Wellness Center, I get a phone call within an hour asking me if I can come in today for an MRI. I say yes. I am injected with dye and lay face down in the machine for an hour. I go home to my husband, we get In N Out, we go home, we eat.


No comments: